Sunday, March 15, 2009

Saw My First Hat Trick!

I experienced my first hat trick in the last game of the Seattle Thunderbirds regular season. It took me a moment to realize what just happened. Jeremy Boyer, just scored. At first, I thought fans were just throwing something on the ice. I had no idea what. Finally, I made out one of the objects as being a ball cap. I frantically search my brain's storage, looking for the file that tells me what's going on. Found it! Hat trick: when a player scores three goals in one game. I keep searching my brain's databanks for more information - what's with the hats? Found it! As a sign of respect and appreciation, the fans throw their hats or caps on to the ice.

It was an exciting, high scoring shut out! We won 10 - zip! The team played a goalie that I never heard of before, one Kyle Jahraus. Looks like tonight was his only game all season. I must say he did an amazing job keeping the Everett Silvertips off balance.

I started the season not knowing a thing about hockey. Now that the regular season is over, I am happy to say I've learned quite a bit about the game. I've also learned that this sport is not as violent as I had envisioned. Sure, a few skirmishes occur, but nothing like what I had thought of. I hope I can figure out how to get to a playoff game!

Seattle Thunderbirds' game summary as reported by the Seattle Times.

1 comment:

ericaberry2001 said...

Thanks to you organizing the group, I've become addicted to hockey. As a matter of fact, we're going to get season tickets next year!