Monday, May 21, 2007

Union Pacific Railroad's "Living Legend"

When we are not at Renaissance Yarns, Al & I like to pretend we are amateur photographers (or videographers). We happened to be walking back from our favorite watering hole (Starbucks - 4th & Meeker) and we noticed all kinds of people standing around the train tracks just off Railroad & Meeker. We inquired and found out that a steam engine was going to be passing through. My dad spent his career around trains and tracks; so needless to say, I was a bit curious. We stood around and then heard a very strange whistle. Renaissance Yarns is just a block off from the tracks, so I am used to hearing the loud, long whistle of passing trains. This whistle was much quieter and had a harmonic sound to it. Of course, neither of us had a camera, but we learned that the train would be making the Seattle - Tacoma run later in the afternoon so we thought we'd give it a try later. I snapped this picture of a freight train, just to test my settings.

We went back to the tracks, this time with our video camera and our Nikon D70. We figured between the two of us, we'd be able to capture something. Well, trains can be a bit like planes and make you 'hurry up and wait'. The train was late and I could no longer wait. We left and I felt a bit let down. I really wanted to get a few shots of this train for my dad. Al went back and was able to get some video, but I still felt let down.

Saturday morning turned out to be crazy. The LYS Tour was happening and 'oh no!' we were going to run out of patterns. Thank you Fedex Kinkos for saving the day! But, also heard the harmonic whistle and knew I missed my photo op again. I had one more chance and persistence finally pays off! This steam engine happens to the the last one built for the Union Pacific Railroad. It is known as the "living legend," and also referred to as 'the No. 844'. So Dad, here you go! This one's for you!!

No comments: