Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Calling All Sock Knitters!!

Knit Socks? I spotted this book, Favorite Socks, back in November and thought it would be a great book for the sock knitter. Brown delivered it today and I must say, the book is better than what I thought. This book contains classic designs that you've seen in various issues of Interweave Knits. There are 25 different designs, most using fingering weight yarn. The DPN technique is used, but as everyone is observing, DPN's look harder than it really is.

Speaking of socks, remember the fab hand painted yarn with coordinating heel/toe yarn? Well folks, our own Angela has gone international! That's right, our friends to the north in Canada will be enjoying the incredible eye candy that Angela creates. I hope they love it as much as we do.

Remember the sock yarn that looks like the Neapolitan Brach's candy; Trekking 126? Well, this is a classic case of supply and demand in action. We learn that Skacel discontinued this yarn and there were 2 shops in the world that had it (Renaissance Yarns being one of them). Suddenly, we received calls from the east coast and Midwest and several dozen skeins travelled over the Cascade Mountains. To make things more interesting, the yarn showed up on the world's biggest auction block and went for more than 3 times the suggested retail price. Well, we took our story to Joanne Ellis (our fantastic Skacel rep) and she worked her magic. You guessed it! The colorway was resurrected and we hope it will be around for a long time!

Stay tuned tomorrow where you will be awestruck by Annalee's rendition of Fibertrends Alpine Boots (adult version) and I will recap the country's biggest boat show west of the might Mississippi River.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Hmmmm...I will have to take a peak at that book when I see you on Saturday!!!!
I love my basic stockinette socks, but I am always on the look out for a design that sparks my interest to use a single color yarn.

Anonymous said...

You spelled "mighty" wrong!

Yuk, Yuk, Yuk