Sunday, January 7, 2007

Announcing the Arrival of Tofutsies!

Tofutsies (toe foot sees) is a wonderful new yarn from Southwest Trading Company which is made with 2.5% Chitin (Kite n). Are you finding yourself scratching your head wondering what this fiber is? I sure did! Chitin is a blend of crab and shrimp shell. That sounds like it might be a bit uncomfortable, right? Yet, it sounds so intriguing! It really put us over the edge when Cathian, our SWTC rep, gave us a sample of the color and yarn. I was still a bit hesitant on the fiber, afterall, crab & shrimp shell in a sock yarn! But the colors, WOW! Well, the yarn arrived this past week and I am happy to say, NICE! The yarn feels nice on the ball, but it seems to get softer once it is knit up. RoxieAnn is currently knitting up a pair of socks and I am quite impressed on how soft it is. I cannot wait to knit up a pair myself!!

More info on Tofutsies: 50% superwash wool, 25% Soysilk brand fiber, 22.5% Cotton, 2.5% Chitin. It likes to be knit up on a US 2 and you can expect to get 8 sts/inch. It's machine wash and dry as well, but I like to use the sock blockers and dry flat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! Do you use a fish hook to knit with the crab and clam yarn?? Keep up the good work.